I enjoy reading blogs on Deseret News. What can I say? I am a blog freak! I have a neighbor who writes a blog for Deseret News and so often I am reading his or other blogs on there. One of them is a "Mom" Blog. Today I read hers because the title interested me. It said"No More Slumber Parties". Hmmm. Really? The world is that bad? I am very intrigued so I read her article and then read the comments readers have posted. The consensus? Most parents are not doing sleepovers anymore. They feel that too many "bad choices" , "problems", or even "molestation" can happen. So parents now opt for "late nights".
My son (8) has a friend (9) who has late nights all the time. Parker even had one last night at this kid's house. Late night for him was 9:30 p.m. because he has a bball camp at 7:30 the next morning. Parker has had sleepovers before. He has camped out in our neighbor's back yard too.
Taylor (7) has had sleepovers too. She had her first one when she was around 3 or 4. My best-friends daughter spent the night at our house. Since then she has had a few more.
Oakley (5) has only had sleepovers at the grandparents.
So what is the right choice when it comes to our kids? They were o.k. for us to go to as kids, but the world has changed so much that we can only trust ourselves and not other families? Should they only be allowed to sleep over at grandparents? Do we not allow them to go while they are younger, but allow them when they are teenagers? Or do we never allow them and think of sleepovers as the past and late nights as our children's future? I am really curious to know what you "my friends" think or believe. I have to say I really didn't have a problem with it before, now I am starting to think late nights are the way to go.
7 comments:
I think it depends, late nights are great for neighborhood friends. Sleepovers are great for grandparents or for BFF's that move clear to EAGLE MOUNTAIN or LEHI!!!! I like the idea of Late nights just because what kid doesn't like to stay up late with their friends.. right??
We do late-overs for a few reasons. The first being that my kids come home so stinkin' ornery the next morning every time they have a sleep over. I think they just sleep better in their own beds. The second reason is I honestly do feel a little safer just having them home. I know what I used to do at sleep overs and that was years ago!! hahaha We do have sleepovers with grandparents, cousins, and some close family friends but if they're invited to a sleep-over birthday or something we just go get them around 11pm and figure they've done all you can really do and its time everyone starts falling asleep anyway! Our oldest is not really loving it but its just how its going to be. Good luck in deciding how you're going to do things!!
We have only done sleepovers with grandparents. We have had cousins overnight here... I think "late nights" are the way to go.
Boy this is a hard decision! I have heard of "late overs" before and thought that sounds like a good idea. I am pretty sure that's the way I will be going to with friends that I just don't know very well.
I will not allow sleepovers. More bad has come from them than good.
(Although, We do sleepovers at G&G's and they get to play with cousins.)
There were girls in my neighborhood, good old Magna, that were not allowed sleepovers. Everyone thought they were weird, but looking back, their Mom was super smart. It saved her children from allot of bad situations.
I like the idea of "late nights".
We do late-nights, but no sleepovers. Let's talk next time we get together! One main reason is that if we say no sleepovers across the board, then we don't have to decide which people we trust, which ones we don't, etc. But there are other reasons, too and it is not always easy.
Kinda sad huh! It's too bad our kids can't enjoy the same kind of things we did. My sisters don't let their kids sleepover anyones house, but family... I don't know what we'll do with our baby girl. Probably the same kind of thing. You just never know anymore... darn it.
Post a Comment