Friday, April 24, 2009

Great Influences

I am so grateful for such amazing people in my life. Today I had my Visiting Teachers come. I have new ones, and I have to say I was so excited to hear it was them. These two are ladies who I noticed right away when we moved in. Not only are they beautiful on the outside, but they are equally stunning on the inside. They are the type of ladies who go out of their way to make people feel welcome, special, and unique.

They were so kind today to ask how I do when Matt travels. His traveling is a whole new thing to our family and it has taken some adjustment. We love having him around and doing things as a family. So as we were talking they told me that if I ever need some "ME" time, that they would take my kids. One of the ladies just had her 6th child not too long ago. She is a wonderful talented mother who takes such great care of her kids and who also plays the violin in a orchestra. The other lady has 2 kids, and somehow also manages 3 part-time jobs. What amazing ladies!


Here I am with 3 kids and I get to stay at home with them. I don't have as many commitments as they do and yet they offered to take on another! Serious, how kind can you get! They really made me look at myself a little more today. I often feel like I should help out my ladies more often than I do. The other day I went to visit one of my ladies and I asked her if I could do anything for her. She asked if I could take 2 of her children next month for the day while she did an activity at the kids school. I told her I would check my calendar and get back to her. Honestly, I was hoping that I might have something that day! How sad is that!!!! I thought of all the things this person has done for our family and then called to let her know I could take her kids. I shouldn't even have to think about it. I think so often we are so consumed in our own lives that we forget to give a little too! So thanks to my V/T ladies! Your 1 visit already have taught me so much:)

4 comments:

John and Charese said...

SO TRUE! I really need some good VT. but most of all I need to be a REALLY GOOD VT. I am not the best at it.
I find myself, making up excuses, or complaining the whole I take other kids...when i should be glad that I am able to help out. Thanks.

Derek-Jenny-Kaitlynd-Ethan-Dylan said...

Oh, Mel. I totally know what you mean.
I often don't like to help out when I am asked by someone. Isn't that terrible. I would rather offer, then be asked. It is weird.

I have a friend here that just had her 3rd baby. I offered to make her dinner last night. After I offered, I realized that we had a BBQ to go to. I was not going to have to cook! So I quickly decided to get pizza for their family (that way I would not have to cook at all). Then I thought about how I would be taking away a easy meal for her. So I spent the day making a home cooked meal for them (dessert and all). I could not believe how happy I felt doing that for her. I have not felt that way in a long time.

Sorry for the long comment.

Emily said...

Melissa! You make it sound like I wear super underoos.... you are sweet to think I have a lot to do, but the truth is, I just don't do it all and I'd rather bring your kids over to keep mine entertained... that's easy stuff!
You are great and I think we are gonna LOVE this visiting teaching group, don't you??? Yay! (I'm so glad that not everything in the church has to be a "learning experience"!)

About Us said...

This is so true! I do feel the same way when I am asked to do more than one thing. Maybe that just comes from doing everything for the kids ALL day EVERYday. I too needed this reminder, especially for doing service for people that I am not close to.