The last week or two I have really been humbled when it comes to forgiveness. 6 years ago in June, my sister-in-law was killed by a 16 year old boy from Idaho. She was the passenger in her friend's car. They were going through a green light, she had her seat belt on. The truck with the 16 year old boy hit her side and there is no way she could have survived the accident. It was really, really hard on my husband's family. I remember having to call their family and friend's to let them know what happened. I remember being the spokesman for the family at the funeral and giving a talk that I didn't think I would make it through. I remember somehow the father of the boy got ahold of me to apologize and say they would fight against their own insurance when things got ugly between the lawyers and the insurance company. It was hard. Matt and I were young and it took alot of strength from us. Moving to Hawaii was a very good thing for us. We were able to get away and let go of some hard feelings and frustration we had.
Matt's parents bought a house 2 blocks away from the cemetery where Silicia is buried at. It has helped his mom alot. She is able to go over there whenever she wants. She has really had a hard time though. Silicia was the oldest and the only girl in the family. She was very close to her family, but especially close to her mom. I too am close to my mother-in-law and I have heard for years that she is ready to move on from this world. She has had bitter feelings and rightfully so. No one can know what that is like unless they have experienced it themselves. I love my mother-in-law and I joke with her often that she needs to quit trying to "Check Out" of this world! We need her. We love her.
This past week she has shown me something so amazing, something I wasn't sure she would be strong enough to ever do, and yet she has. She was contacted by her neighbor that a therapist had called her and asked if she was my mother-in-laws neighbor. ( my in-law's number is unlisted.) How did she know that lady was my mother-in-law's neighbor? The Internet:) She told this neighbor that someone needed to make amends with my mother-in-law.
My mother-in-law wasn't sure who she had wronged in the past, but was curious and called. She was told from the therapist that Tye the boy who hit Silicia needed to make amends. He is on drugs right now, and is down from Idaho in therapy for a month trying to change his life. The accident really messed him up. Of course it did. He was only 16. He is now married, and has a daughter that is 2 1/2. I asked my M-I-L how she felt. What would she do? For me this was so heavy to deal with. She said that all she wanted to do was hug him and tell him it's o.k.
This is coming from someone who couldn't believe things happen for a reason anymore. She hard a hard time understanding that it was Silicia's time to go.
She received a letter from Tye a few days later. He said he was sorry and told a little about how he was and that he wanted to talk to them on the phone or in person. My M-I-L called the therapist and they are meeting tonight at my In-Laws. My husband will be there tonight to meet him. I do believe that everything happens for a reason and sometimes we just don't understand why they happen. The therapist also told my M-I-L that Tye and his daughter were driving through the intersection where the accident happened one day and his daughter said to him"Dad there is a girl who is dead in the road and you did it". He said that Silicia has visited gim a few times. His daughter's name is Oakley. Same as my youngest. Coincidence? I am not sure. Is is coincidence that I got pregnant with Oakley unexpectedly while in Hair School and was due with her 1 year to the day Silicia died? I really don't think it was coincidence.
I am so grateful for this lesson that my M-I-L has taught me. She is so amazing. I hope that I can always remember that life is too short. That nothing is worth not having a relationship with your family. Family is all we have.
7 comments:
Wow, shivers.
I hope that this helps her move on. I have never lost someone that close to me and I really do not know how I would handle loosing a child.
I commend her for getting out of bed everyday. I also, commend you and your family for standing by her through all of this. It cannot be easy trying to comfort someone in so much pain.
Love ya! HUGS!
Oh my! The only words I have is, WOW! Your family has been through so much. I agree! You have such a strong family. I can't imagine losing a child. Just thinking of it makes me physically and emotionally sick. I agree! Life is too short. Thanks for sharing this story with us as it once again reminds me of this. I hope that you and your family can now have some closure after speaking to this guy. Please keep us informed on how it's going.
Ya I can't imagine losing a child, and how hard it would be to try to move on. I hope both your mil and the kid that hit her can find some peace. His Oakley needs a dad. Forgiveness is SO HARD! And I'm amazed at your mil and your family and the strength that forgiving someone takes....
Your mother-in-law sounds like an incredible woman, and I think she's pretty lucky to have you for a daughter-in-law! What a touching story.
What a trial!! It is good that the family is close. Family is SO important. Strong families can make this life bearable...and more fun. What an amazing story!
Wow. That gave me the goosebumps. Serious. I believe EVERYTHING happens for a reason too. Look at everything that has happened with me. I wouldn't change one second of it. Although I haven't lost anyone, I believe everything I went through was for a reason. It makes us stronger, smarter, and more loving in the end. Your MIL is amazing and I would have never known this about her. I absolutely fell in love with her when I met her. Let me know how it goes...
Love ya.
Missing you! I hope everything is OK.
Post a Comment